Welcome Message

Hey, what do you know? I can be taught! I'm officially a blogger. What the heck is a blog anyway? The simplest way to describe it is as my personal journal that’s not so personal because I share it with everyone in the world. This blog is titled “The Bull Stops Here” and focuses on insurance issue that will save you time, money and frustration.

You’ll find regularly posted topics dealing with:
- ways to help you save money on your insurance
- techniques to save you time on managing your insurance
- answers to your questions on coverage issues
- educational resources and workshops that will solve your insurance challenges

My mission is to help you gain more confidence and trust in your business or personal insurance while spending the least amount of money.

Friday, September 14, 2007

Protecting your business from technological turmoil

I’m composing this blog from my lap top because I’m having computer issues with my desktop. It seems like I’ve been hit through Internet Explorer with some virus and it’s causing challenges for me.

Whenever this happens, either to me or someone else, it makes me wonder how well we have all backed up our computer systems. Today, almost all businesses are powered to a great extent by their computers. The exposure to losing important data and files is very real, and very dangerous to your business. Fortunately, I’ve backed up my data, but to be honest, I’m not sure how current I am. This should be fixed soon, but it serves as a tremendous wake-up call for me.

How well have you backed up your system? If you lost everything today, would you be able to recover? How long would it take? Don’t take for granted your back-up plan is foolproof. There are many excellent ways to back-up so make sure you can be up and running again soon. Most large organizations have done a pretty good job of this…many small ones may not have had the time or resources. If you are a home-based business, you need to be especially careful. Should know…that’s what I am!

Regardless of the size of your business, make sure to identify the best ways to save data…and then do it. You can never be too safe!

Dan

P.S. Keeping saved data and media in the same location is not sound risk management. Keep at least one storage file off premises in a safe deposit box or even a relatives home. If your building burns, so will all your records if you don’t separate them.

No comments: